Connect a real tube amp to Line 6 UX1 for recording

Line6 support
Kalsten
antispam: 6

Connect a real tube amp to Line 6 UX1 for recording

Postby Kalsten » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:05 am

Hi

I am about to buy a small tube head + cabinet to play at home (Randall Diavlo RD1H). It has a dummy load to connect to interfaces and record yourself in the computer, but I am a bit confused about how to connect it to my Line 6 UX1.

The Line 6 UX1 has three connections in the front: a XLR Mic, a Jack for the instrument, and a Jack for Headphones. The Randall RD1H has a XLR out speaker simulator. Do I need to buy a XLR-XLR cable, and connect it from the out of the amp, to the Mic XLR of the UX1? Or should I buy a XLR - Jack, so I connect it to the Instrument input of the UX1?

I am a bit lost with all this, and I cannot find any answer anywhere.

Here it is the instruction of the Randall, if you need to read them: http://www.randallamplifiers.com/downlo ... 110514.pdf

Thanks you very much :)

Pickasso

Re: Connect a real tube amp to Line 6 UX1 for recording

Postby Pickasso » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:45 am

Seems to me you could go 2 ways:

mic cable from back of head to mic input of interface- this will include speaker simulation

guitar cable from line out 'send' to interface- this would be the preamp only. So you could experiment with your own IR loader like Nadir or recabinet, and load different IR's in your recording software.

Both should work, Let us know how it sounds!

Kalsten
antispam: 6

Re: Connect a real tube amp to Line 6 UX1 for recording

Postby Kalsten » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:36 am

Oh, I didn't know that I had those two options. I think I would like to try both, so I see if the cab simulator of the amp is good, or if I get better results by loading my own impulses in LeCab :)

Thank you very much :)

Return to “Support”