EMG Pickup Reviews/ Reccomendations

Here you can post photos of you equipment, reviews....
Bull1060
antispam: 6

EMG Pickup Reviews/ Reccomendations

Postby Bull1060 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:46 pm

Good Afternoon all,

I am new to this and quite a newbie when it comes to equipment. I am currently using Amplitube 3 through Cubase and find my tones when palm muting and chugging to be very flat and not very grunty. The notes themselves are very hard to pick out when playing the low E string.

I also seem to get horrible noise that interferes with the playing of the notes when recording or playing and think it might possibly be because of the guitar being quite a budget copy and the pick ups being poor. I like to play heavy metal such as trivium and metallica etc.

What are people reccomendations on either EMG Humbuckers or Seymour Duncan's? and which ones in particualar.

Thanks for your time :)

Pickasso

Re: EMG Pickup Reviews/ Reccomendations

Postby Pickasso » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:17 am

Hey Bull,

Post a short d.i. (clean) clip, one of us can test it! Some problems can be eq'd out...
Also check out your pickup height, sometimes raising it closer to the strings helps. (keep it low enough that the strings can never hit it thought)

As far as pickups, been through many. Currently using Duncan Invader. It's very high output, high gain. Used Emg 81s and Duncan Blackouts in the past, now prefer a more natural tone with passives. D.I.'s are better with the Invader.
Also liked Dimarzio Super 3. Currently looking for a deal on a Duncan Distortion to try on another guitar.

Check out this well made comparison video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryzie8mham8

If you're in the USA, and buy a new Duncan or Dimarzio pickup, they both offer exchange for 20 days or so if you don't like the tone. Done that a few times!

Bull1060

Postby Bull1060 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:14 am

Hey Pickasso,

Yeah i lowered the action on my guitar and that has a much better result but the actual issue was some software conflict on my computer which is quite frustrating but very glad that it is resolved now and i can get on with recording some music :)

I am still interested in peoples opinions on pickups because as a little side project i am going to be building my own guitar from scratch so it will be interesting to have peoples views :)

Thanks again Pickasso seen as you were the only person to respond to my plight and very rapidly i might add :)

Regards

Bull

eriklima

Postby eriklima » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:55 pm

If I could, I I'd like to test these pickups:

*EMG 81
*EMG 85
*DiMarzio Super Distortion
*Seymour Duncan Blackouts
*Seymour Duncan Invader