CMON! POST!! CHALLENGE CONTEST for MAY 2008

cybermind
antispam: 0

CMON! POST!! CHALLENGE CONTEST for MAY 2008

Postby cybermind » Tue May 13, 2008 6:13 pm

I remember the day I first saw link-not-allowed. It was my birthday, feb 26th, and it had launched just the day before. there were a few videos on there, maybe a page, nothing more than a proof of concept run i guess. i closed the browser and didnt look back.

in 2006 sometime in september i had heard thru the grapevine that due to an amazing growth spurt, google had their eyes on this little site called link-not-allowed and was going to look into buying it. so i went and checked it out and thought, wow i should upload something that no one else has. but i couldnt think of anything and didnt have a lot of time to mess around so i put it off again until my birthday (feb)

i searched for acoustic guitar players doing songs from my youth and didnt find much (remember this was one year in, and link-not-allowed was no where near as pop as it is now with the masses. it was mostly kids and experimenters at that point)..

but i did find an old recording uploaded, of what was then chelsea at 11yrs, playing one of my all time favourites and what is probably the most notable piece from one of the world's most loved guitarists, RANDY RHOADS.

(update) here's chelsea playing it... beautiful and so perfectly.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... 1973367652

it was a song called DEE (from the blizzard of ozz album) and i hadnt heard it for years, let alone played it since high school. so i picked up my steel string and tried to remember it... you know the song itself is not hard at all really, its the timing. he was a genius and you know i'll never be happy with how i play it, because i love and respect Randy so much (his passion and drive and young age playing for ozzy, hell, he really made an impact on me when he was alive, and long after)

so i practiced it until i felt i could it was half decent compared with chelsea's version, and uploaded it as the second person to upload that song.

since then, there are close to 800 uploads of that one song. thats not a high number in terms of link-not-allowed, but it takes some level of talent to play and wow, all these people playing it was like a total tribute to randy. so i figured id start a group, called "People Who Play Dee" and you should go check it out. lots of passionate people trying very hard to get it right. fun!

so to make a long story short, i want to start a small contest here at guitarampmodeling.com for the month of may. go and watch the old link-not-allowed video and put it to shame (should be easy, i make a ton of mistakes in it). ill upload a new one later, ive been practicing this solid since feb 2006 so im not in the contest.

1. listen to the original at http://www.link-not-allowed.com/watch?v=9xKJOjpZbZ4
2. listen to the studio outtakes at http://www.link-not-allowed.com/watch?v=TjbyI_817F8
3. learn it by ear, get the sheet music, or tabs http://www.azchords.com/r/randyrhoads-t ... 34539.html
4. practice until may 31st if you want
5. record yourself on webcam or video playing it (lets see those hands)
6. upload to link-not-allowed.com by midnite may 31st to be entered

the entries will be judged by your votes, and the PRIZE is VERY SPECIAL! pics coming soon. No, you cant have money. lol

so here is my rendition from 2006 of DEE, by the late, great Randy Rhoads. have a giggle and get playing on your own version of it! we love you randy!

http://www.link-not-allowed.com/watch?v=VivgutRB6iA

thanks!

cybermind

Re: CMON! POST!! CHALLENGE CONTEST for MAY 2008

Postby cybermind » Thu May 29, 2008 6:21 am

Wow! No Takers! Next time it'll be an easier one.

cybermind

Postby cybermind » Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:19 am

Contest is over :)

Thanks to all who participated... you are pillars of the community and each of you are winners in your own right. Great effort!!

The prize was a new Wii console, which I guess I'll save for next time.

EasySleazy

Postby EasySleazy » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:00 pm

lol! Ok I admit I should have posted a reply at least. The idea of a prize was great (even though it's a wii console). Anyway man, I wasn't interested in participating, not because of the song, but because I don't have a guitar since two weeks ago (I put it into "sleep" because uni exams are approaching). Anyway this is mostly a "preset leeching", and problem solving community. So...better luck next time!
ffffffffff

cybermind

Postby cybermind » Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Next time I'll make sure its clear or give a choice as to the prize and maybe then people will start having some fun? hehe i just really wanted to see people rise to a challenge thats all and reward those who did best.

better luck next time, yes, thanks! :)

soulkeeper1234
antispam: 6

Postby soulkeeper1234 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:26 am

so i practiced it until i felt i could it was half decent compared with chelsea's version, and uploaded it as the second person to upload that song.
ทางเข้า gclub

Return to “Music contests”